Central Government Holiday List in India 2024 PDF
2024 Central Government Holiday List
The Public Holidays (General Holidays or Gazetted Holidays), Restricted Holidays (Optional Holidays) for 2024 in Central Government Office is prepared based on the DoPT Gazette Holiday notification F.No.12/2/2023-JCA. These Holidays are followed by all Central Government Office (Post Office, Income Tax Department, Railway, Indian Ordnance Factories and CGHS Administrative Offices in India).
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
Establishment (JCA) Section
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 3rd July, 2023
Subject: Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during the year 2024- reg.
1. It has been decided that the holidays, as specified in Annexure-I to this O.M., will be observed in all the Administrative Offices of the Central Government located in Delhi/ New Delhi during the year 2024. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/ herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/her out of the list of Restricted Holidays specified in Annexure – II.
2. Central Government Administrative Offices located outside Delhi / New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays, to be chosen out of the 12 optional holidays indicated below at para 3.1:
MAHATMA GANDHI’S BIRTHDAY
GURU NANAK’S BIRTHDAY
EID UL FITR
EID UL ADHA
PROPHET MOHAMMAD’S BIRTHDAY (ID-E-MILAD)
3.1. For offices located in New Delhi/Delhi, three holidays are selected by the D/o Personnel & Training and for the offices located outside Delhi/New Delhi three holidays are to be chosen by the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committee in the State Capitals, if necessary, in consultation with Coordination Committees at other places in the State, from the list indicated below. The final list, applicable uniformly to all Central Government offices within the concerned State, shall be notified accordingly and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in the festivals and dates, as indicated in Annexure -I and Annexure II baring a few exceptions indicated in para 5.1 and 5.2 hereinafter. The 12 optional holidays are as follows:
AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR DUSSEHRA
GANESH CHATURTHI / VINAYAKA CHATURTHI
SRI PANCHAMI / BASANT PANCHAMI
VISHU / VAISAKHI / VAISAKHADI / BOHAG BIHU / MASHADI UGADI / CHAITRA SUKLADI / CHETI CHAND / GUDI PADWA / 1st NAVRATRA / NOWRUZ / CHHATH PUJA / KARVA CHAUTH.
3.2 No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays, initially declared, subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
4. The list of Restricted Holidays appended as annexure-II to this O.M. is meant for Central Government Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi. The Coordination Committees at the State Capitals may draw up a separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance. However, the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are also to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi / New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of Eid ul Fitr, Eid ul Adha, Muharram, and Eid-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon the sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, after ascertaining the position from the Govt, of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi / New Delhi, the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees at the State Capitals are authorized to change the date of the holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments / Union Territories, in respect of Eid ul Fitr, Eid ul Adha, Muharram, and Eid-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date in respect of the above occasions has to be declared at very short notice. In such a situation, an announcement could be made through P.I.B / T.V. / A.I.R. / Newspapers and the Heads of Departments /Offices of the Central Government may take action according to such an announcement, without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6. During 2024, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Sunday, November 12, 2024 (Kartika 21). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.s., on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day”. In view of this, there is no objection if a holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali Day) in the Central Government Offices in a State if in that State that day alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7. Central Government Organisations which include industrial, commercial, and trading establishments would observe up to 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day, and Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays/occasions may be determined by such establishments/organizations themselves for the year 2024, subject to para 3.2 above.
8. Union Territory Administration shall decide the list of holidays in terms of Instructions issued in this regard by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
9. In respect of Indian Missions abroad, the number of holidays may be notified in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s O.M. No. 12/5/2002-JCA dated 17th December 2002. In other words, they will have the option to select 14 (Fourteen) holidays of their own only after including in the list, three National Holidays and Id-ul-Fitr, Muharram and Diwali included in the list of compulsory holidays and falling on days of weekly off.
10. In respect of Banks, the holidays shall be regulated in terms of the extant instructions issued by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
Hindi version will follow.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
CG Gazetted Holidays in 2024 | CG Restricted Holidays in 2024
Central Government Public Holidays (General Holidays) List 2024
LIST OF HOLIDAYS FOR THE YEAR 2024 TO BE OBSERVED IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
The following list of holidays will be gazetted holidays for the year 2024.
|12||Milad – un – Nabi (or) Id – e – Milad |
(Birthday of Prophet Muhammad)
|13||Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday||02-10-2024||Wed|
|16||Guru Nanak’s Birthday||15-11-2024||Fri|
Central Government Closed Holidays 2024 | Central Govt Gazetted Holiday List 2024
Central Government Restricted Holidays (Optional Holidays) List 2024
LIST OF RESTRICTED HOLIDAYS FOR THE YEAR 2024 IN RESPECT OF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
The following list of holidays will be restricted holidays for the year 2024.
Central Govt Restricted Holiday List 2024 | Central Govt Optional Holiday List 2024
|1||New Year’s Day||01-01-2024||Mon|
|4||Magha Bihu / Pongal||15-01-2024||Mon|
|5||Guru Gobind Singh’s Birthday||17-01-2024||Wed|
|6||Hazarat Ali’s Birthday||25-01-2024||Thu|
|7||Sri Panchami, Basant Panchami||14-02-2024||Wed|
|8||Shiva ji Jayanti||19-02-2024||Mon|
|9||Guru Ravi Das’s Birthday||24-02-2024||Sat|
|10||Birthday of Swami Dayananda Saraswati||06-03-2024||Wed|
|16||Chaitra Sukladi / Gudi Padava |
/ Ugadi / Cheti Chand
|17||Vaisakhi / Vishu||13-04-2024||Sat|
|18||Meshadi (Tamil New Year’s Day) |
/ Vaisakhadi (Bengal) / Bahag Bihu (Assam)
|19||Birthday of Guru Rabindranath Tagore||08-05-2024||Wed|
|21||Parsi New Year’s day / Nauraj||15-08-2024||Thu|
|23||Ganesh Chaturthi / Vinayaka Chaturthi||07-09-2024||Sat|
|24||Onam or Thiru Onam Day||15-09-2024||Sun|
|26||Dussehra (Mahashtami) / Dussehra (Mahanavmi)||11-10-2024||Fri|
|27||Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday||17-10-2024||Thu|
|28||Karaka Chaturthi (Karwa Chouth)||20-10-2024||Sun|
|31||Pratihar Shashthi or Surya Shashthi (Chhat Puja)||07-11-2024||Thu|
|32||Guru Teg Bahadur’s Martyrdom Day||24-11-2024||Sun|
DoPT Holiday List 2024 PDF Download – Click Here
|Saturday & Sunday 2024 List|
|January Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||February Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|13-01-2024||Second Saturday||10-02-2024||Second Saturday|
|27-01-2024||Fourth Saturday||24-02-2024||Fourth Saturday|
|March Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||April Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|09-03-2024||Second Saturday||13-04-2024||Second Saturday|
|23-03-2024||Fourth Saturday||27-04-2024||Fourth Saturday|
|May Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||June Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|11-05-2024||Second Saturday||08-06-2024||Second Saturday|
|25-05-2024||Fourth Saturday||22-06-2024||Fourth Saturday|
|July Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||August Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|13-07-2024||Second Saturday||10-8-2024||Second Saturday|
|27-07-2024||Fourth Saturday||24-08-2024||Fourth Saturday|
|September Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||October Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|14-09-2024||Second Saturday||12-10-2024||Second Saturday|
|28-09-2024||Fourth Saturday||26-10-2024||Fourth Saturday|
|November Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024||December Month Saturday & Sunday List 2024|
|09-11-2024||Second Saturday||14-12-2024||Second Saturday|
|23-11-2024||Fourth Saturday||28-12-2024||Fourth Saturday|
Importance of Holidays
Holidays provide us with a period of respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life and allow us to enjoy the peace and relaxation. Taking some time off from our busy lives provides us with an opportunity to reset and regain focus. It gives us the time to reflect on life and plan for the future. Having a break also means that we can decompress and deal with any stress or anxiety we have been feeling. Finally, holidays provide us with a feeling of freedom and liberation, allowing us to enjoy our lives and appreciate the little things. Overall, holidays are essential for our well-being , holidays are the only thing which can boost up people’s mind and bring them back on to work with full-focused manner and achieve their dreams after a small nap.
Central Government Holiday List 2024 PDF | DoPT Holiday List 2024 | List of Gazetted Holidays in 2024 | List of Gazetted Holidays 2024 in Central Government | Gazetted holidays 2024 in India | Restricted Holidays 2024 | Central Govt Closed Holidays 2024 | Central Govt Restricted Holiday List 2024 PDF | Central Government Offices Holidays 2024 | India Govt Gazetted Holidays 2024 PDF