Hand Book on Benefits to Railway Employees | Hand Book on Settlement Benefits to Railway Employees
Divisional Office, Personnel Branch,
Salem – 636 005.
All Branch Officers / SA Division,
All Supervisory Official / SA Division
Sub:- Publication of Hand Books on Establishment Matters.
As a welfare measure for the benefit of Serving & Retired Railway Employees the two Hand Books on Establishment matters on following title are prepared by the Railway Administration (Personnel & Accounts Branch) and were released by General Manager, Southern Railway on his Annual Inspection dated:21.09.2022.
1) Hand Book on Benefits to Railway Employees
2) Hand Book on Settlement Benefits
The above hand books are uploaded in the Southern Railway, Salem Division, Personnel Branch website.
Wide publicity may be given to all the employees working under your control.
(P.K. Soundra Pandian, IRPS)
Sr. Divisional Personnel Officer,
Copy to: DSs/SRMU, AISCST REA, AIOBC REA for information.
HAND BOOK ON BENEFITS TO RAILWAY EMPLOYEES
Personnel & Accounts Branch
For Every Railway Employee, the knowledge regarding Railway Establishment matters is must. In this regard, a need is felt by the Railway Administration to provide a collection of information in a single document for them. In such an attempt, we take immense pleasure in releasing this “Handbook on Benefits to Railway Employees” (e-Book) to give a basic idea on the above subject and other related valuable information.
1.1 Travelling Allowance: –
Travelling allowance is admissible as per the prescribed rates to a Railway Employee for any day on which he proceeds on tour beyond a radius of 8 Kms from his headquarters or returns to his headquarters from a similar distance.
The travelling allowance will be granted for each completed day of absence from the headquarters reckoned from mid night to mid night at the following proportion.
|If absence from headquarter does not exceed 6 continuous hours.||30 % of the Travelling allowance.|
|If absence from headquarters does not exceed 12 continuous hours.||70 % of the Travelling allowance.|
|If absence from headquarters exceed 12 continuous hours.||100 % of the Travelling allowance.|
• PML 1 to 5 : Rs. 500/-
• PML 6 to 8 : Rs. 800/-
• PML 9 to 11 : Rs. 900/-
• PML 12 & 13 : Rs. 1000/-
• PML 14 and above : Rs. 1200/-
These Daily Allowance rates will go up by 25% every time the DA goes up by 50%. and w.e.f. 01.07.2017.
RBE No. 84/2017
Entitlement for Journey on Tour or Training: –
(A) Journey by Air within the Country: –
(i) Officers in PML-16 & above, while in tour, may be entitled for Air travel in ‘J’ / Business Class
(ii) All other Officers otherwise authorized to travel by Air may be entitled to travel by economy class.
(B) Journey by Air (International): –
(i) PML 14 and above: Business / Club Class
(ii) Others : Economy Class
(C) Journey by Sea or River Steamer: –
(1) for places other than A&N Group of islands and lakshadweep
Group of Island: –
(i) PML 9 & above: Highest Class
(ii) PML 6 to 8 : Lower Class if there be two classes only on the steamer
(iii) PML 4 & 5: If two classes only, the lower class, if three classes, the middle or second class, if there be four classes, the third Class
(iv) PML 1 to 3: Lowest Class
(2) for travel between the mainland and the A&N Group of islands and Lakshadweep Group of Island by ships operated by the shipping Corporation of India Limited: –
(i) PML 9 & above : Deluxe Class
(ii) PML 6 to 8 : First / ‘A’ Cabin Class
(iii) PML 4 & 5 : Second / ‘B’ Cabin Class
(iv) PML 1 to 3 : Bunk Class
(D) Mileage Allowance for Journey by Road: –
(i) PML 14 & above: Actual fare by any type of public bus including AC bus or At prescribed rates of AC taxi when the journey is actually performed by AC Taxi or At prescribed rates for auto rickshaw for journeys by auto- rickshaw, own car, scooter, motor cycle, moped etc.,
(ii) PML 6 to 13: Same as above, except that journey by AC taxi will not be permissible
(iii) PML 4 & 5: Actual fare by any type of public bus other than AC bus. or At prescribed rates for auto rickshaw for journeys by auto-rishaw, own car,scooter, motor cycle, moped etc.,
(iv) PML 1 to 3: Actual fare by ordinary public bus only orAt prescribed rates for auto rickshaw for journeys by auto -rickshaw, own car, scooter, motor cycle, moped etc.,
At places where no specific rates have been prescribed either by the Directorate of Transport of the concerned state or of the neighbouring states (theses rates will further rise by 25% whenever DA increases by 50%)
- For journey performed in own car / taxi Rs. 24/- per km,
- For journey performed by auto-rickshaw, own scooter, etc., Rs. 12/- per km.
(E) Journey by Rail: –
• Free passes, as admissible under Rules, may be issued to Railway Servant.
TA Entitlements on Transfer: –
(i) Journey by Air: –
- Officers in PML 15 & above: ‘J’/Business Class
- Officers in PML 14: with approval of CA.
(ii) Journey by Rail: –
Free passes, as admissible under Rules, may be issued to Railway Servant.
(iii) Journeys by Road: –
Not entitled to travel by road, between stations connected by Rail. Otherwise permissible with family. 2(D)
Composite Transfer and Packing Grant (CTG): –
(i) more than 20 kms 80% of Basic Pay
(ii) less than 20 kms 1/3 of CTG subject to change of residence involved.
(iii) Husband & Wife take place within 6 months, but after 60 days of the transfer of the spouse, 50% of CTG for later transfer otherwise no CTG
Transportation of personnel effects: –
(i) PML 6 & above: f 50/- per Km
(ii) PML 5 : f 25/- per Km
(iii) PML 4 & below: f 15/- per Km
These rates further rise by 25% whenever DA increase 50%. The claim for reimbursement shall be admissible subject to the production of actual receipts / vouchers by the railway servants.
RBE No. 103/2017
1.2 Training Allowance: –
The faculty members who are drawn on deputation from the field for the various training centers recognized by the Railway Board and whose duty is to impart training to the trainees may be granted Training Allowance as under.
• 24% of Basic Pay to Faculty Members in National / Central Training Academies and Institutes for Group ‘A’ Officers.
• 12% of Basic Pay to Faculty Members in other Training Establishments.
RBE No. 145/2017
1.3 Dearness Allowance: –
DA is granted to Railway employees to offset inflation and rising cost of living and inflation. Basis for DA calculation is All India consumer price index. The rate of DA admissible to Railway employees shall be enhanced from the existing rate on the first of January and on the first of July every year if it is due as per the calculation.
01.01.2016 : Nil, 01.07.2016 : 2%,
01.01.2017 : 4%, 01.07.2017 : 5%,
01.01.2018 : 7%, 01.07.2018 : 9%
01.01.2019 : 12% 01.07.2019 : 17%
01.01.2020 : 21% 01.07.2020 : 24%
01.01.2021 : 28% 01.07.2022 : 31%
01.01.2022 : 34% 01.07.2022 : 34 %
1.4 House Rent Allowance (HRA): –
The House Rent Allowance is admissible to those Railway Servants who have not been allowed Railway accommodation.
|Sl.No||Classification of Cities||Present rate of HRA|
|1||‘X’ Class||27 %|
|2||‘Y’ Class||18 %|
|3||‘Z’ Class||9 %|
- The rates of HRA will not be less than f 5400/-, f 3600/- and f 1800/- at X, Y, Z class cites respectively.
- The rates of HRA will be revised to 27%, 18% & 9% for X, Y, Z class cities respectively when DA crosses 25% and further revised to 30%, 20% and 10% when DA cross 50%.
- As on date HRA has been revised as 27%, 18% & 9% for X, Y, Z class cities respectively on DA cross 25%.
RBE No. 71/2017
1.5 Night Duty Allowance (NDA): –
The hourly rate of NDA shall be equal to (Basic Pay + Dearness Allowance / 200) which would be admissible to eligible categories of non-gazetted Railway servants classified under chapter XIV of the Railway Act, 1989.
Night Duty Allowance shall be eligible only for Non-Gazetted Employees up to PML 7 (Employees in PML8 under MACP also eligible).
The Railway Servant (Hours of Work and Period of Rest) Rules, 2005 for work put in during the period from 22:00 hours to 06:00 hours are treated as Night Duty.
Weightage of 10 minutes for every hour of duty performed between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00 would be continued.
On implementation of 7th CPC, the Ceiling of Basic Pay is limited to ? 43,600/- w.e.f. 04.07.2022.
- NDA = (Basic Pay + DA)/200 x Night Hours / 6
RBE No. 36/2018 & RBE.No.85/2022
1.6 National Holiday Allowance: –
The non-gazetted staff booked on duty on National Holiday may be granted this allowance on the following condition:
The cash compensation is payable even when an employee is on Rest. It is not necessary that this rest should be abrogated to be eligible for the cash compensation.
The shift duty staff who work round the clock and might have performed part duty on the holiday in question can be paid the National Holiday Allowance at the full prescribed rates.
- Rs. 384/- per day to PML 1 to 2;
- Rs. 477/- per day to PML 3 to 5;
- Rs. 630/- per day to PML 6 to 8
The rates of this allowance will further increase by 25% each time DA rises by 50%.The revised rates of allowance shall be admissible w.e.f. 1st July 2017.
RBE No. 108/2017
1.7 Special Train Controllers Allowance: –
The Section Controllers and Chief Controllers are entitled for the special Train Controllers Allowances at f 5000/- pm. This allowance is admissible w.e.f:01.07.2017.
The allowance will increase by 25 percent each time DA rises by 50 percent.
RBE No. 86/2017
1.8 Transport Allowance (TPTA): –
Transport allowance is admissible to Railway Servants at the following rates:-
|Employees drawing pay in PML||Rate of Rs. Transport Allowance per month|
|Employees posted in the Cities as per Annexure||Employees posted at all other places|
|PML 9 & above||Rs. 7,200/- + DA thereon||Rs. 3,600/- + DA thereon|
|PML 3 to 8||Rs. 3,600/- + DA thereon||Rs. 1,800/- + DA thereon|
|PML 1 & 2||Rs. 1,350/- + DA thereon||Rs. 900/- + DA thereon|
|PML 1 & 2 those drawing pay more than Rs. 24,200/- *||Rs. 3,600/- + DA thereon||Rs. 1,800/- + DA thereon|
The allowance shall not be admissible to those employees who have been provided with the facility of Government transport.
Railway employees who are drawing pay of Rs.24200/- and above in Pay Level 1 & 2 of the Pay Matrix, shall be eligible for grant of Transport Allowance at Rs.3600/- + DA thereon.
Physically disabled employees:
In respect of the categories viz., Visually impaired, orthopedically handicapped, Deaf and dumb/Hearing impaired, Spinal deformity, shall continue to be paid Transportation allowance at double the normal rates, subject to fulfilment of the stipulated conditions, which shall, in no case, be less than Rs. 2,250/- pm plus applicable rates of Dearness Allowance.
Officers drawing pay in PML 14 & above, who are entitled to the use of official car shall be given the option to avail the official car facility or to draw Transport Allowance at the rates of Rs. 15,750/- pm plus DA thereon. If he opted, he/she will not be allowed to change his/her option during the remaining period of his/her current assignment.
Admissibility of Transport Allowance during the circumstances: –
a) During Leave: Not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leave.
b) During Deputation Abroad: Not admissible.
c) During tour: If an employee is absent from the HQ/Place of posting for full Calendar month(s) due to tour, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance during that/those calendar month/months. However, if the absence does not cover any calendar month(s) in full. Transport Allowance will be admissible for full month.
d) During training treated as duty: The allowance may be granted during such training, if no Transport Facility/Travelling Allowance/ Daily Allowance is provided for attending the training institute. During official tour in the training course, the allowance will not be admissible when the period of the tour covers the whole calendar month. Also, during training abroad, no Transport Allowance will be admissible when the period of such training covers the whole calendar month.
e) During inspection/survey duty by Members of Special parties within the city but exceeding 8 kms from the HQs OR during continuous field duty either in or outside the Headquarters:
Transport Allowance is given to compensate for the expenditure incurred for commuting for both to and fro between the place of duty and residence. In case when one gets Road Mileage / Daily allowance or free transportation for field/inspections/survey duty or tour for a period covering the whole calendar month, he / she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance during that calendar month.
f) To vacation staff: Vacation staff is entitled to Transport Allowance provide no free transport facility is given to such staff. However, the allowance shall not be admissible when such vacation spell, including all kinds of leave, cover the whole calendar month(s).
g) During Suspension: As a Government employee under suspension is not required to attend office, he/she is not entitled to Transport Allowance during the suspension where suspension covers full calendar Month(s). This position will hold good even if the suspension period is finally treated as duty. Where suspension period covers a calendar month partially, Transport Allowance payable for that month shall be reduced proportionately.
RBE No. 80/2017
1.9 Overtime Allowance (OTA): –
Overtime allowance is an allowance paid to Railway Servants for actual tome worked in excess of the hours of employment beyond the rostered hours.
The supervisory or confidential staff are not entitled for overtime allowance.
(a) Under Factories Act, 1948: –
Revised Rates of Pay, DA, HRA, Transport Allowance, Cash equivalent of the advantage accruing through the concessional sale to workers of food grains and other articles as the workers, for the time being may be entitled to (excluding wages for overtime work or bonus)
(b) Under HOER: – All items except HRA
(c) Under Departmental OTA: –
(i) in Loco Sheds and C&W Depot: All items except HRA
(ii) Other Employees: – Revised rates of pay and DA
RBE No. 175/2017
1.10 Special Running Staff Allowance (Additional Allowance): –
The additional allowance to under mentioned running categories will be payable as per rates given below:
|Loco Pilot Mail / Express||Rs.2,250/- per month|
|Loco Pilot Passenger /Motorman||Rs.1,125/- per month|
|Train Manager Mail / Express||Rs. 1,125/- per month|
|Loco Pilot Goods||Rs.750/- per month|
|Sr. Train Manager (Passenger)||Rs.750/- per month|
This allowance is also admissible to LP (Mail) and LP (Passenger) drafted to perform the duties to Power Controller / Crew Controllers.
Dearness Allowance will be payable on this allowance. However, it will not count for pensionary benefits. These allowances w.e.f. 01.07.2017.
RBE No. 85/2017
1.11 Coal Pilot Allowance: –
Coal Pilot Allowance is admissible to Shunt man and other staff of Transportation Department who accompany the Coal Pilot in the collieries for shunting duties at the following rates.
|Trips||Rates in Rs.|
|For the first trip||Rs.102/-|
|For every subsequent Trip||Rs.34/-|
RBE No. 92/2017
1.12 Fixed Conveyance Allowance: –
A competent authority may grant on such conditions as it thinks fit to impose, a monthly conveyance allowance to any railway servant who is required to travel extensively at or within a short distance from his headquarters under conditions which do not render him eligible for daily allowance.
Except as otherwise provided in the rules in chapter 16 of IREM Vol. II or directed by the sanctioning authority, a conveyance allowance may be drawn all the year round, shall not be forfeited during absence from headquarters, and may be drawn in addition to any other travelling allowance admissible under the rules in chapter 16 of IREM Vol. II, provided that a railway servant, who is in receipt of a conveyance allowance specifically granted for the upkeep of a motor car or motor cycle, shall not draw mileage or daily allowance for journey by a motor car or motor cycle except on such conditions as the sanctioning authority may prescribe.
A conveyance allowance may be drawn during leave or temporary transfer, or holidays prefixed or suffixed to leave or joining time.
Motor Car / Motor Cycle / Scooter /Allowance: A railway servant who maintains a private motor car or a motor cycle/scooter and uses it in the performance of his official duties, may, at the discretion of the General Manager of an Indian Railway, be granted a motor car or a motor cycle/scooter allowance at the scale shown below provided that the General Manager is satisfied that it is necessary in the interest of the railway administration for him to travel by motor car or motor cycle/scooter frequently on duty:-
IREM Vol. II Chapter 16 Rule 1606 (4)
|Avg. Monthly Travel||Own Motor Car||Other Modes|
|201 – 300 km||Rs. 1,680/-||Rs. 556/-|
|301 – 450 km||Rs. 2,520/-||Rs. 720/-|
|451 – 600 km||Rs. 2,980/-||Rs. 960/-|
|601 – 800 km||Rs. 3,646/-||Rs. 1,126/-|
|800 km more||Rs. 4,500/-||Rs. 1,276/-|
• Rates shall automatically increase 25% where ever DA increases 50%
• The revised rates of allowance shall be admissible w.e.f. 1st July 2017.
RBE No. 89/2017
1.13 Risk and Hardship Allowance for Track Maintainers: –
Track Maintainers (other than Construction organization) are entitled for Risk and Hardship allowances as per mentioned rates. The employee working in construction organisations are not eligible to claim the R&H Allowance.
- Rs. 2700/- pm for PML 8 and below
- Rs. 3400/- pm for PML 9 and above
RBE No. 87/2017 dated 10.08.2017& Rly. Bd.’s letter dated 25.10.2018
1.14 Special LC Gate Allowance to Track Maintainers: –
Special Level Crossing (LC) Gate Allowance to Track Maintainers deployed for manning any of the Engineering Gates, to be paid as per cell R3H3 of the Risk and Hardship Matrix.
• Rs. 1000/- pm for PML 8 and below
• Rs, 1200/- pm for PML 9 and above
The rates of this allowance will further increase by 25 percent each time DA rises by 50 percent.
RBE No. 110/2017
1.15 Tenure Allowance to Officers posted in Railway Board and RDSO: –
Railway Board Office: –
• The Officers of Organized Group ‘A’ Railway Services as well as the Officers of non-Railway Organized Group ‘A‘ Services posted in the Railway Board’s Office as Deputy Directors/Joint Directors/Directors will be subjected to a prescribed tenure. on the expiry of which they will be reverted to field posts in Zonal Railways/Production Units/Construction Organizations etc.
• Officers belonging to Organized Group ‘A’ Railway Services posted in Railway Board’s office as Deputy Directors/Joint
Directors/Directors will be paid Railway Board Tenure Allowance at the rate of 10% of their basic pay subject to a ceiling of f 9000/- pm.
• The allowance will not be paid beyond the normal tenure of 3 years for Deputy Directors, 4 years for Joint Directors and 5 years for Directors.
• No allowance will be admissible to the officers of the Railway Services posted as Executive Directors and above in the Railway Board’s office.
• This allowance shall not be admissible to those Deputy Directors/Joint Directors/Directors who are given extension or re-employment after superannuation.
• In cases where the tenure posting is to a post with a lower Level of pay, the pay of the Officer going to such a post will be filled in the tenure post as per extant rules.
RBE No. 182/2017
Research and Design Standard Organisation (RDSO): –
• The Officers of Organized Group ‘A’ Railway Service posted in the RDSO as Deputy Directors, Joint Directors and Directors will be subjected to a prescribed tenure, on the expiry of which they will be reverted to field posts in Zonal Railways/Production Units and Construction Originations.
• Officers belonging to Organized Group ‘A’ Railway Services posted in RDSO as Deputy Directors/Joint Directors/Directors will be paid Tenure Allowance at the rate of 10% of their basic pay subject to a ceiling of f 9000/-p.m.
• The allowance will not be paid beyond the normal tenure of three years for Deputy Directors, four years for Joint Directors and five year; of Directors.
• No Tenure Allowance will be admissible to the officers of the Services posted as Executive Directors and above in RDSO.
• This allowance shall not be admissible to those Deputy Directors/Joint Directors/Directors who are given extension or re-employment after superannuation.
• In cases where the tenure posting is a post with a lower Level of pay, the pay of the Officer going to such a post will be filled in the tenure post as per extant rules.
RBE No. 181/2017
1.16 Breakdown Allowance
• Non-gazetted Railway servants employed in Running sheds and Carriage and Wagon Depots who are earmarked for attending to breakdown duties and Relief Train Electrical staff, including Supervisory staff, holding posts upto Level 6 (f 4,200/- GP) and above in the Pay Matrix (except the Supervisors in charge of Carriage & Wagon Depots, Loco Running Shed or the Electrical Relief Train), shall be allowed.
• (i) (a) This allowance will be treated as a compensatory allowance for all purposes.
• (b) The payment of this allowance would be subject to a review by the Controlling officer to ensure proper performance of breakdown duty. The allowance will not be admissible to the Railway servants who have failed to turn out for the breakdown duties within the stipulated time.
• (ii) Priority in allotment of quarters, particularly for quarters near the Running sheds or Carriage & Wagon depots, as the case may be.
• (iii) Supply of free food, departmentally or otherwise, during the period they are engaged in breakdown duties;
• NOTE:- Where it is not possible to make arrangements for supply of free food, in exceptional circumstances, cash in lieu thereof may be paid to the non-gazetted staff including Track Maintainers and Trolleymen engaged in Breakdown duties, at the rates fixed by the General Manager in consultation with PFA.
• (iv) Payment for overtime work in accordance with the normal rules, time taken in traveling to the site of the accident and back shall also be reckoned for payment of overtime;
• (v) Payment of full daily allowance at the rates applicable to ordinary localities without the stipulation that they should be out of headquarters beyond 8 kilometres for a period exceeding 12 consecutive hours.
• (a) Daily allowance at full rates as above will be admissible for each breakdown occurring at difference places on the same day.
• (2) All other non-gazetted staff of all departments who are called out in connection with accidents/breakdowns, including the Supervisory staff who are not eligible for Breakdown Allowance, shall be allowed the concessions enumerated in clauses (iii), (iv) & (v) of sub-rule (1) above.
• (3) Gazetted staff who are called out in connection with accidents / breakdowns shall be allowed the concessions enumerated in clauses (iii) & (v) of sub-rule (1) above. Cash compensation in lieu of free food shall, however, not be admissible to them.
RBE No. 118/1999 dated 25.05.1999
• (4)For the purpose of sub-rule (1), (2) and (3) above, a breakdown may be:-
• (i) Any accident which involves the calling out of a breakdown train or engine with special staff or equipment (including MFD equipment or traffic crane) from the nearest breakdown train depot or shed, or a breach or wash away on the line which interrupts normal traffic; or
• (ii) Any of the following which interrupt normal traffic on running lines:
• (a) Snapping of overhead electric traction lines which involves calling out of Tower Wagon or Breakdown Lorry;
• (b) Damage/Bursting of points requiring the attendance of a Breakdown/ Repair /Maintenance Gang;
• (c) Breakdown of interlocked lifting barriers;
• (d) Total interruption of telecommunication/communications or of power supply.
RBE No. 144/1991
• Rs. 270/- pm to Helper (PML 1)
• Rs. 405/- pm to Tech. III (PML 3)
• Rs. 540/- pm to Tech. II & I (PML 4 & 5)
• Rs.675/- pm to Sr. Tech / JE and staff in higher grades (PML 6 & above)
• The rates of this allowance will further increase by 25 percent each time DA rises by 50 percent.
• *On MACP PML does not the eligible criteria to get the Payment. The employee substantive Pay Level only will be taken to account to grant Breakdown Allowance.
RBE No. 106/2017 &RBE No. 138/2018 (IREC Vol. II Chapter 14 Rule 1420)
1.17 Flag Station Allowance: –
• Abolished in the 7th CPC.
• Flag Station Allowance (Payable to Commercial Staff in charge of Flag Stations where Train passing duties are not involved) as a separate allowance. The eligible employees will now be governed by the newly proposed “Extra Work Allowance”,
• Extra Work Allowance will be paid at a uniform rate of 2%(two percent) of the basic pay per month.
• An employee shalt receive this allowance for a maximum period of one year, and there should be minimum gap of one year before the same employee is deployed for similar duties again.
• This allowance shall not be combined i.e. if the same employee is performing two or more such duties and is eligible for 2%(two percent) allowance for each add— on, then the total Extra Work Allowance payable will remain capped at 2%(two percent) of basic pay.
• Eligible employees to be governed by “Extra Work Allowance” @ 2% of Basic Pay per month